Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Desperado


I was just re-reading my last couple of entries, and I see that before I 'went away' for the winter, I had said I was going to tell you all about my big day at the Mini show I had attended recently. It sounded as if I was going to be gushing with delight over attending the show, but in reality, it was pretty much a bust.
The show was held in a convention room of a Holiday Inn off the highway in Dedham(Mass.) My friend Billy Bob and I have gone to a couple of toy shows (not mini) there, and they usually have a good mix of vendors.
This mini show was pretty lame. I have been to very few mini shows over the four or so years I have been miniaturizing, but enough to know that there should have been more dealers than there were.
I embarrassed myself in front of one 'dealer', because I thought he was a dealer with good prices, and I started picking things up to purchase, and he glares at me (glares!)and says "This is the childrens' table!!!". I didn't know. Maybe if I had really thought about it, him being in the corner with a small card table, and prices that were like, 10c for things, I'd have figured it out, but I was so bummed by the lack of real vendors, I didn't even notice.
I bought a couple of things (from the real vendors),including two 1/2 scale dolls, but they were waaay overpriced and I should have passed them by, but, you know how you get desperate sometimes to just BUY something...anything? That was me. I usually get that feeling when I'm clothes shopping. You should see some of the stuff I have come home with...and returned the next day. Either that, or I lose the receipt and then the item ends up in the Goodwill donation boxes.
The photo shows what I pretty much bought in the hour or so I was there (minus the two 1/2 scale dolls; I gave them away.) I even went around the room twice, hoping to find somthing I wanted to buy.
The items are a beautiful hat, and the hat stand for it. My sister says that she'd like to maybe some day build a room box and perhaps with a millinery theme, so I bought her the hat to get her started. I also saw this cute little Chinese Checkers board. I have to use some teeny tiny 'marbles'/beads to put in the holes! Finally, this cute jug that has a vey pretty painting of a large elm tree next to a house. That's it.
Oh, and pardon my photography. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, other than using my dopey digi camera (as opposed to the one I traded my son for.) No, wait. That didn't sound right. I would NEVER have traded my son for that camera. A better one, perhaps, but not that camera!!! lol

2 comments:

Gina said...

Oh the little mini things you bought are adorable! I love the hat stand the best. Its so cute. I know all about the feeling to buy something, anything at all because thats what your expecting to do when you go to one of these places. Ahh, I wish there was a mini show near me.

Caitlin said...

You know Gina, I am constantly amazed that there aren't more resources (shops, shows) for minis in your area. You live in a large metro area, and I would think there'd be more contacts for you. That's too bad.